From Gary Carpenter, FRSD Superintendent:
FRSD Families: Some general information and updates:
- Meal service begins TODAY (March 16th) at VES– Drive through and pick up only. Kids must be in car. Ages 1-18 are served! 11:00-12:30
- Virtual or remote learning: At this time, the district is not pursuing this option. That may change if the mandated school closure extends. One important perspective I would share with parents around the topic of continuing academics during the closure is this. It is OK if parents want to engage in this, and try to support their students academically. It is ALSO just fine to allow your kids to be kids during this closure. The way adults respond and act around this pandemic can cause significant stress and anxiety. There is absolutely no reason to add to that stress and create conflict between parents and students by forcing academic time. Every child is different, so some may welcome this, however for most, simply having a 30 to 60 minute reading time (especially at the elementary and middle school level) of some fun book that they would enjoy is plenty. Your child is going to get far more during these two weeks off during this stressful time, by just being allowed to be a kid. Bottom line, keep the academic stress low.
- The district office will remain open through the closure, schools will not. Staff will return to the buildings on Monday, March 30th. If something changes around the mandated closure, we will notify folks immediately.
- Assuming students return on Wednesday, April 1st, expect that Friday “non-school” day to be changed to a school day. More information to come as decisions are made.
- Continue to practice social distancing and appropriate hand washing and other measures during this break.
- Feel free to contact the district office if you have specific questions at 541-935-2253, or email me at email@example.com
Gary Carpenter, Superintendent-FRSD 28J