FRSD Return to Learn Update
Good afternoon FRSD K-3 families,
As you know, Lane County school districts have been closely following the weekly Oregon Health Authority School Metrics: Case and Testing Rates. The last update indicates that Lane County reported 64.9 cases per 100,000 residents. This is the second week in a row that our county has seen an excess of 30 cases per 100,000. While many of us are eager to be back in the classroom like “normal”, the safety of our students, families, and staff remains our top priority.
Despite having our limited summer staff working on purchasing devices, adding software, and preparing professional development it has been a challenge. Teachers and IAs, who returned in late August, worked steadily to prepare for students. While this planning and preparing has helped close the gap, it is nowhere near perfect.
Over the next few weeks, we will take full advantage of the time that we have with our youngest students. We will continue to teach routines and build relationships but our primary focus will be to prepare them for our transition to Comprehensive Distance Learning (CDL). Time will be spent teaching them about usernames and passwords, while also training them on how to navigate a digital environment.
Like many in our local area, we are disappointed that we must prepare to change plans during this spike in COVID-19 cases, however, we hope that families know that when it allows, we are prepared to open our buildings for all students in a safe way. Safety procedures and protocols will remain in place even as rates begin to decline and students are able to return to buildings.
This is a challenging time for all of us. We will work together to make sure that you and your child have what they need to be successful in this ever-changing academic climate.
A few dates to be aware of:
- Week of 10-5: Get Chromebooks into the 2nd -3rd classrooms to start practicing and plan for device checkout.
- Week of 10-5: Families need to sign and return Chromebook user agreement sent home by teacher.
- Week of 10-12: Continue K-3 A/B Limited In Person Instruction in the AM
- Week of 10-12: Chromebooks sent home, 2nd-3rd begin afternoon CDL schedule, practice logging in, work out the kinks, set online learning expectations.
- Week of 10-19: Limited In Person Instruction and CDL schedule to be determined based on metrics and on-going cohorting numbers.