More from an “Old” chair

These ideas/thoughts are mine and mine alone… I cannot and do not speak for the board. Now, let’s move on to my topic for the day- READING to our children.

Looking in on the new mother and father, we see them sitting and reading out loud to their infant. What a loving picture and how cute we say. The truth is that, even at that age, the infant can watch things turning in front of his or her face, can and does listen intently to the sound of the voices that are shaping his and her future. As they grow, they point to pictures of animals and imitate those animals’ voices; they look at the pictures their beloved parents are looking at and learn language. But they learn something far more valuable than that. They learn the value of reading and the value of the words that form their world. In addition, through reading and talking with parents about possibilities, the child’s imagination grows and helps them begin to understand our world. [Well that could be a bit of a stretch as I read quite a bit and certainly don’t understand our world… but for a child- things begin to make sense.]

Reading out loud to them helps them learn to listen; they begin to see the melody of the spoken words and the beauty of possibilities. A few minutes a day is so rewarding for the parent- and so worthwhile for the child. The attention paid to the child reaps other benefits as well. If you have more than one child, reading together is great, but it is suggested that you try and find time to read one on one with each child. Once the child recognizes the relationship between the three letter word ‘cow’ and the moo animal in the picture, he or she is beginning to read. Continuing this process allows the child to feel comfortable vocalizing and reading words that will lead to simple sentences. They will know the luxury of inflection, sarcasm and recognition which will help their preschool teachers and early grade teachers continue that development. As your child grows, continuing this process and modeling your own silent reading- a sports magazine, a fine local newspaper like this one or a home improvement book- continues this value clarification that reading is a good and meaningful thing.

I grew up in the days before internet but shortly after dinosaurs. We had books, magazines, and comic books as well as a regular MAD issue around most of the time. Somehow my parents knew the value of reading even though they were never college bound. Of course, I know them to be of unlimited intelligence and wisdom- but I could be slightly biased. My parents read and discussed and read some more. When I had a question, they said “Look it up” and provided me the tools to do that. When I taught middle school, I found, and believe to this day, that the important factor is getting children to love to read. I didn’t care what they read during our 15 minute silent reading time [as long as it was not rated R that is]. Access is so easy today. I read on my kindle; I read on the internet; I read the books that literally line the walls of my home; I seek out new sources of the issues that interest me. I owe this to my parents who taught me the love of words very early in my life. However, I honestly do believe it is never too late to make a difference in our children’s lives.

If you have teenage children, watch their amazement that you have been reading song lyrics from the hip hop rappers Common or Erykah Badu. If you check those lyrics, you’ll find very meaningful comments about our world today- the world that your young adults inhabit. If you have children in middle or elementary school, read what they are reading and listen to the interests your child has. Our Fern Ridge Library is full of rich extensions of that interest- cultivate it. If you have grandchildren, do all the things you did and wish you did in this area with your children and more. So regardless of the age of your children, modeling reading helps mold the future of these up and coming citizens of our world. Work with the teachers, follow the child’s abilities as they grow stronger with each passing day and grade, and if you have questions, talk with the teachers- seek out the classroom truth of what she or he is seeing happening.

For more information check out the Reading is Fundamental website list of important results of reading at   http://www.rif.org/us/literacy-resources/articles/facts-about-reading-aloud.htm and if your children or grandchildren don’t live near you- volunteer in our schools. Frankly, I thought RIF stood for Reading if FUN. It is- A child will enjoy and benefit from reading to you.

As always, I remain open to comments and questions. Please write to me at tmorton@fernridge.k12.or.us – I look forward to hearing from you again. I leave you with a thought from Walt Disney – “Laughter is timeless. Imagination has no age and dreams are forever.” Something new as well- From time to time, I will share a website with you that you might enjoy. This is Taylor Mali- a well-known poet from the poetry slam movement. He believes in the nobility of the teaching profession:     http://youtu.be/RxsOVK4syxU . Join the other teachers in your children’s lives- teach and learn together. You will be glad you did!