Thoughts from the Vice-Chair of your School Board
As always- my mantra is necessary: These ideas/thoughts are mine and mine alone… I cannot and do not speak for the board. Now, let’s move on to my topic- Appreciation
As always the Holiday Time is packed with events both personal and school wide. This Holiday certainly follows that pattern. As most of you know, our Superintendent, Dr. Storm, had open heart surgery on the 13th of November. She is recovering well but this will be a lengthy process. Our hearts go out to her and her family as this vigorous woman deals with the trials of ‘lying around’ letting her heart heal. The results are good, and as long as she follows doctor’s orders [a bit of a challenge for her], she will be as good as new- likely even better.
That being said, many people are shouldering a heavy load helping the district through this time. Everyone is pitching in and helping where they can. Kudos go out to Acting Superintendent, who just also happens to be our wonderful high school principal, Gary Carpenter, who is doing a great job running the show. My personal thanks go to him and the others on the administrative team who have been working so hard. In addition, Veneta Elementary staff is dealing with “severe anticipation” as the construction job ‘should’ be finished over the holiday break, and things will be more regular soon. The construction crew at VES is working diligently and thoughtfully to get the job done. They are a fine group of people, and we thank them for their work.
One of our beloved principals has decided to do an early retirement which was effective on December 1. We are fortunate that she is more than willing to finish out the year as our principal of Elmira Elementary. Jackie Turle joined the Fern Ridge District in the summer of 2007 as the Assistant Principal at Elmira High School. She became the Elmira Elementary Principal in November 2010. She has taken on many extra assignments while she worked with our students such as: Crisis/Leadership Team Facilitator at the high school; Title Coordinator; Strategic Planning Committee; Cultural Diversity Committee and Tutor Oversight to mention a few of her duties in addition to her principal duties. Currently, she is the Talented and Gifted Coordinator and the Safety Officer Co-Chair. When I heard of Jackie’s retirement, I asked Sally Storm about losing Jackie on our staff. She said “Not only do I really like Jackie but I respect her as well. She has done a fabulous job working with staff, students, and parents. I hope to continue a very special friendship with her after she leaves.”
So on one level, I am sorry to think of not enjoying Jackie’s wit and spirit in everything she does for the district- not to mention her million dollar smile and the way that the children in her school literally and figuratively ‘look up to her’. But I am thrilled for her to realize a dream of travel, living and loving in her home here in the Veneta area, and generally being the free spirit we know and love, but now we have to share her more with the other parts of her world. We will miss her, BUT we still have her around until the end of the school year to brighten our days.
So on that note, I wish you all a wonderful time with those you love, each and every day. Carry the love for each other throughout the year and be well.
I leave you with this thought from a Nigerian Peace Activist Hafsat Abiola. “Peace comes from being able to contribute the best that we have, and all that we are, toward creating a world that supports everyone. But it is also securing the space for others to contribute the best that they have and all that they are.”