First of all, let me begin by reminding my readers that this column is my opinion and my opinion only.  By that I mean that I am not speaking for the board merely making observations about educational topics and asking for your perspective and input.  I joined the School Board in August of 2008 and my term expires the end of June 2019.  My dear mentor, Craig Soderberg, resigned on Monday leaving a gaping hole to fill for someone who believes in working to improve and maintain the great things we have.  We are accepting applications to fill a four-month appointment on the school board for Position #4.  This appointment is through June 30, 2017.  Registered voters who have lived in the District for at least one year are encouraged to apply.  Applications are available at the District Office, 88834 Territorial Road, Elmira or by going to district webpage and downloading [http://www.fernridge.k12.or.us]  For information call 541-935-2253 ext. 1203.

Now to our ‘Hidden Figures’.  As you know, we are close to completing the commitment of the bond.  Many local workers have toiled tirelessly at completing these tasks.  We have some final touch ups remaining.  You have seen their trucks and their signs surrounding tasks, and maybe even stopped and talked with them on a nice, dry day.  But too many essential pieces of this amazingly large puzzle go unnoticed- until now.  Hence my title!!! [and a great movie too]

It goes without saying that Superintendent Gary Carpenter spent hours and hours on the job of seeing that the needs of the staff, students and community were met.  A local advisory committee made up of valuable community members met regularly and heard about the trials and tribulations of making things all work and gave input.  I thank them for their hard work.

Many valuable members of the District Office staff worked tirelessly to complete bond requirements.  Quanah Bennett kept the money matters in control- paying out for services rendered and making sure budgets were held in check.  Greg Baker persevered through literally thousands of building changes and adaptations not to mention moving way too much stuff from one place to another.  Jeff Thiessen vigorously looked for ways to save the District money doing landscaping, digging and dealing with many changes through the months.

Michael Bateman’s steadfast desire to get the technology in place on time began Day 1 of the bond preparation as he planned and worked at acquiring the best equipment, wiring, and services to make the district the very best complement to our excellent teachers who worked around the construction themselves.  Debbie Moore helped keep the office functioning and reaching the needs of the community while the front door nearly collapsed in upon her and the racket from the siding and roofing was a continual reminder of the hard work being done.  Everyone working in the District Office spent months of the summer with hammering, sawing, missing doors, and strange entrances required.  My thanks go out to all of them.

Last and definitely not least is Emil Hameed.  This man resolutely worked toward making sure the Fern Ridge District got the very best and the exact results we wanted and needed.  Living in Salem, meant that he had that lovely drive everyday he worked in the district.  Emil singularly took on all phases of the projects- coordinating and debating choices and prices while overseeing the work before the final inspections.  I so appreciate his dedication to doing the job right.

So, thank you all- and to the community- Thank you as well for your patience and your support.  Our community’s children will benefit from this for years to come, and if you have no children in school, know that your property values will increase because of the value of having a strong school district.

I look forward to continuing my column and answering your questions so please continue to write to me at tmorton@fernridge.k12.or.us and read my articles.  I hope to reach new readers so share with your friends and loved ones.  I leave you with this quote from Carlos Ghosn.    “Any job very well done that has been carried out by a person who is fully dedicated is always a source of inspiration.”  This 4 minute video from National Geographic called Ice Music at  https://youtu.be/YL-8zxvuuyE  will show you some of the things our imagination can conceive and create.  Until next time- Be safe.