Good morning FRSD families. Our vendor, Chartwells, and their staff have been working hard to prepare for the return of students. Below are some notes regarding our plan for the beginning of the year, and how it will build and grow over the first few weeks this Fall. In addition I have included some important information concerning Federal waivers the district has received in regards to providing meals.
1. FREE MEALS: Federal Waivers we have received allow the District to provide both breakfast and lunch meals FREE to ALL school age children through December 2020.
2. FREE AND REDUCED LUNCH FORM: Please, continue to fill these out now, DO NOT WAIT. The waivers will end eventually, and we don’t want families to end up not being covered when they do. In addition, the qualifying income amounts have been adjusted, allowing for more eligible families. The easy online application process can be completed here: https://www.ode.state.or.us/apps/frlapp or you can go to this link and print a copy of the form and turn it in at a school: https://www.fernridge.k12.or.us/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/1621_001.pdf
3. Beginning in week 1: The first day of meals will be the first day students return, on September 22nd. We will have 3 ways students can get meals:
a. K-3 students that attend school will have an opportunity to have both breakfast and lunch, at their school, in the cafeteria.
b. The High School North Parking lot will have a “drive-through” meal pick up service occurring each school day, from 11:00-12:30. A lunch for that day and a breakfast for the next day will be available. In order to pick up meals, parents/students will just need to provide their last name for ODE compliance. The meals are free of charge.
c. Students in grades 4-12 that are on campus for 2 hours for LIPI (Limited In-Person Instruction) from 9-11 AM will have an opportunity to get a meal before they leave for the day, including a breakfast for the following morning.
4. Beginning in week 2: In addition to the opportunities described above occurring in week 1, we will add:
a. Service at the EHS drive through location from 11:00-12:30 on Monday the 28th, a no-school day. This will continue every Monday.
b. Drop off/pick up locations will be available at a few locations throughout the community. The exact number and location of these meal pick-up sites is yet to be determined.
5. Beginning in week 3: Everything from the first two weeks will continue. We will be looking into the possibility of having all buses available to deliver meals to the community in food boxes, that would allow a family to get a box of meals (lunch and breakfasts) for the entire week so that they wouldn’t need to come to a site each day. This will take additional logistical planning and we will keep families informed if this becomes a possibility.