School District Questions and Answers –

with current board chair- Twinkle Ann Morton

HUGE step FORWARD

I begin by reminding my readers that this column is my opinion and my opinion only. I am not speaking for the board merely making observations about educational related topics. Now that is done, let’s get to this week’s column.

Yesterday, the 20th of May 2014, was the beginning of such an important move for our children, our staff, and our community. My list of Thank You’s might rival my last article J- so will try and be more succinct and to not miss anyone. My first thank you goes to the stalwart few who started coming to the board meetings to share their disagreement or perceptions with things happening in the district- both old and new. You folks started the ball rolling for improved communication. My next thank you goes to Gary Carpenter who, in addition to his hard work as the high school principal and friend to his students, took on the very difficult job of heading up the Facilities Committee who worked tirelessly early on to get the ideas for our wonderful community committee to work on with the excellent Portland company of DLR. Thank you to Scott Rose and his crew at DLR for creating the meetings that allowed us to pull together what was important and necessary for our students to be safe and ushered into the 21st Century. Then the PAC took over and a major group from the community took over the huge task of presenting the information to the rest of the community and answering the important questions that come up with such a large undertaking. Kim Kilmer, as chair, was instrumental in this occurring as well as everyone who made calls, canvassed to answer questions and delivered information to our community. Staff and students alike worked hard in this process as well as standing on the corner waving signs at passing traffic on a series of Tuesday afternoons. Our mayor, Sandra Larson, worked tirelessly to write informational articles to help others understand this process and Ric Ingham and the entire City of Veneta staff has supported this measure. Our Superintendent, Dennis Friedrich, attended meeting after meeting to present information and address concerns. So many folks to thank- I have only touched the tip of the iceberg and as we know, the tip is supported by so much more working behind the scenes.

What does this mean for our community? Most of Elmira Elementary will be replaced in a manner that our children will not be displaced. Overlapping repairs to the roof will disappear and so will the asbestos along with my major concern for safety of our kids near that parking lot. Veneta Elementary will get some much needed additional classrooms, a kitchen, a cafeteria and a front office which will allow better supervision of people’s coming and goings. In addition, bus traffic will be changed to make the process of bussing our children ever more safe. At Fern Ridge Middle School, changes will be made to the library and office while improving safety considerations for exiting the building. Elmira High School will be able to improve the girls’ locker room and adding a second gym which will facilitate the practice schedule of our children. In the past, students have told me that they were embarrassed by the facilities when other schools would visit for competitions. This important change will improve our district immensely. In addition, gyms are used by all levels of our schools and by the community. This vote of confidence is truly a win-win for our community.

One of my biggest concerns is student safety and security. This will allow us to do the things to ease our concerns for our children. It will also allow us to bring in the hardware to bring our technology up to surrounding high school levels and be ready for future developments as well. This will help students in start-up time as well as supporting classroom instruction as more and more technology moves into the classroom.

I have tried to list a few of the things that will benefit the entire community. I know that the pride we show in our community will show and as our population grows, people moving to start their families here and develop their businesses here will find a wonderful group of people with healthy school buildings and our wonderful staff waiting to greet them. Once again- thank you for voting in the election on the 20th of May. I know the percentage for yes was high; I want those who still have concerns will come to board meetings, continue to voice their concerns, and get involved in the Citizen Oversight Committee.

I end my column, as always, with a quote or two. “What sculpture is to a block of marble, education is to the human soul.” Joseph Addison “It is in fact a part of the function of education to help us escape, not from our own time – for we are bound by that – but from the intellectual and emotional limitations of our time.” T.S.Eliot   Our children have the right to experience this; thank you again for all the hard work and as always, please write to me at tmorton@fernridge.or.us with comments and concerns. Please come to our Board Meetings as well. Exciting things are ahead for all of us.