School District Questions and Answers –

with current board chair- Twinkle Ann Morton

Really??

I begin by reminding my readers that this column is my opinion and my opinion only. I am not speaking for the board merely making observations about educational related topics.

I want to begin by saying that I am a taxpaying individual for Lane County… When we moved here 17 years ago, we bought land that happens to be just east of the Huston Road City of Veneta boundary line so I don’t live within the City Limits. I do support the District Library, the District Fire Department and the District Schools. Currently, I do not use the Library as much as I would like. I would prefer to not use the Fire District, but have been extremely grateful for the two times I did; they were gracious, prompt and extremely helpful. As for the District Schools, I have no children or grandchildren in the schools. I have no sons or daughters teaching in these schools. Basically, I don’t have any reason to support our schools as I am semi-retired and own land where I could very easily hold up and never leave the land I love so much.

So why do I care? On a financial level, I know my property values continue to increase as our schools win state and national awards, have high graduation rates report cards. People want to live in a community that has the vision to be sure their children get the best of everything possible. It is also true that vandalism is far less prevalent in a community where there is pride in the schools and in their buildings.

On a purely personal level, I believe in the power of public education. Not the kind of education that creates robots who do not think but children and young adults who understand what it takes to work through an opposing argument, see the other side, and change or strengthen their opinions based on that information. Yes, I did teach for five years in eastern Montana- a small community much like Veneta [without the close-by scenery], and I have spent the last thirty-eight years working to improve the possibilities for young men and women coming out of high schools- sometimes under prepared and always too much required of them.

The effects of not passing the ballot are hard for me to fathom.  To make our schools ready to provide an education that prepares our students to be ready for the 21st and 22nd Century, we will have to make decisions trading off fresh air versus safety versus keeping the asbestos at bay among other things.  We will not be able to provide that education nor will we be able to offer the things in life that give many of us meaning. Neither artistic appreciation nor application, neither music appreciation nor application will be available. We certainly will not be able to improve or renew our vocational education.

While it may appear to be about money or about previous decisions made by other school boards, this is far more about what this community values, and I believe the fine people of our district will vote for the children and our community’s future. I know I will.

Until next time, please send questions to tmorton@fernridge.k12.or.us

I leave you with these two ideas by very successful 21st Century business people.

“It is in Apple’s DNA that technology alone is not enough—it’s technology married with liberal arts, married with the humanities, that yields us the results that make our heart sing.”

Steve Jobs, in introducing the iPad 2 in 2011

“In my own philanthropy and business endeavors, I have seen the critical role that the arts play in stimulating creativity and in developing vital communities….the arts have a crucial impact on our economy and are an important catalyst for learning, discovery, and achievement in our country”                                              –Paul G. Allen, Co-Founder, Microsoft