Currently, the risk to the general public from the 2019 Novel Coronavirus is very low. In the past few days, however, there have been a couple of cases in Oregon. The virus is being closely monitored by Lane County Public Health, the Oregon Health Authority, and the CDC (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.) These links provide a wealth of information to families that are looking for it and are updated regularly. The Fern Ridge School District follows the recommendations provided by Lane County Public Health when addressing health-related matters.
Below are a couple additional resources for our families and staff
Watch a video of a LCPH nurse explaining the virus.
Fact sheet from the Oregon Health Authority. (PDF)
Like all viruses, the basics are important:
- Wash hands often with soap and water
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth with unwashed hands
- Avoid contact with people who are sick
- Stay home while you are sick and avoid close contact with others
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue or sleeve when coughing or sneezing.
The district will continue to monitor this virus and take appropriate action, if needed, as recommended by our local and state health authorities.
Gary Carpenter, Superintendent, FRSD 28J