FRSD Students and Families of 6th-12th grade students:
Yesterday around 2:00 PM, updated infection rate data for Lane County was released. It shows that we are below 200/100,000 for the first time in several months (at 194.5). In addition, data for our specific zip codes here in Fern Ridge, has consistently been about 60-70% of the County rate and that remains consistent with the current rate within FRSD being 121/100,000. To ensure we are using both current and accurate information, I spoke to the K-12 education liaison at Lane County Public Health yesterday and she confirmed that the number of infections in Lane County has consistently dropped over the last 10 days. She added that on this trajectory, at a minimum, we should expect the rate released next week to again be lower. With that information in hand, we are ready to execute our plan to get more students back to in-person instruction. Below are the details:
February 25th and 26th: 6th grade students will return to FRMS in a hybrid model. Following the same model as our elementary schools, students will return on an A/B format. Approximately half the students will attend all day on Tuesday/Thursday (A Day) with the other half attending on Wednesday/Friday (B Day). The school day will be a full day, and students will leave each day with work for their “off-day”. 6th grade students will attend the 25th or the 26th and again on March 2nd or 3rd (based on being either A or B day). This will allow all 6th graders to be introduced to the Middle School and oriented for the year.
March 2nd and 3rd: 9th graders only will attend EHS, without 10th-12th graders. They also will be on an A/B schedule as described above.
March 4th and 5th: The remaining grades (7th, 8th, 10th, 11th and 12th graders) will return on an A/B schedule, similar as described above.
Other important information:
- LIPI: At FRMS, the last day for 2 hour LIPI will be this Friday, February 19th, to allow the rooms to be configured and teachers to prepare for this transition. At EHS, the last day for LIPI will be Friday, February 26th.
- BRIDGES and RESOURCE ROOM AT FRMS (Mrs. Gardner and Mr. Brummett): Both of these programs will have slightly different schedules, the school/teacher will be communicating with individual families. If you have questions, do not hesitate to reach out.
- CHROMEBOOKS: At FRMS, for now, students will keep their Chromebook at HOME, and not bring them back and forth. At EHS, students WILL bring their Chromebook to school each day!
- BUSSING: We will post updated routes/times as soon as they are ready. In the mean time, we need to gather information from those that WILL be riding the bus. At FRMS, there will be a website post with information, and a google form to fill out. For EHS, please call the school and share that you will, or will NOT be riding the bus. Elementary students that ride the bus should pay attention to the new routes/times when they are posted, as the time they get picked up might be pushed back a couple minutes with the buses making more stops. They should not change significantly.
- A Day or B Day: For FRMS students, this can be found in Home Access (after logging in, click on registration tab, look for “house/team” – this is near the top-left under demographic), students can ask a teacher, or families can call the office. For EHS this information can be found in Home Access, or on the EHS website in the coming days. You can also call the school. FRMS 541-935-8230 or EHS 541-935-8200.
- Lunchtime and Meals: This will look different at each school (M.S. and H.S.)
- FRMS: When students come for “in-school” days, they will receive a hot sack-lunch from the cafeteria and then proceed to their designated eating area (or they can bring a lunch from home). At the end of the day they will receive a take-home bag (for those that want it) with two breakfasts in it (one for their off day and one for their next in-person day). For lunch on the off-days, students/families will have the ability to utilize the high school drive through for that day’s lunch service.
- EHS: When students come for “in-school” days, before the start to the school day, they will have the opportunity to receive a sack breakfast from the high school kitchen to be eaten on-site in the cafeteria. Only those eating breakfast will be allowed in the cafeteria at that time. During their lunch period, students will be able to receive a hot sack-lunch in the cafeteria and then proceed to a designated eating area (or they can bring a lunch from home). On their off-days they will also have access to the drive through site at EHS for that day’s lunch. The EHS campus will be a CLOSED campus for all students to assist with cohorting of students.
- Families who do not want to participate in the on-site meals or the drive through meals, will be able to pick up a week worth of breakfasts and lunches from the H.S. drive through that occurs on Monday evenings from 5-6 PM. A reminder that you cannot “double dip,” and can only participate in one or the other.
- As mentioned earlier, the H.S. lunch drive through will continue to operate Monday-Friday for now.
- Finally, a reminder that through the end of the 20-21 school year, all school meals are FREE!
- More Information-Community zooms: Zoom meetings to allow for Q and A sessions with Mr. Carpenter, FRSD Superintendent, as well as the building principals at FRMS and EHS have been scheduled. See below for specific links and days/times:
- Superintendent Q and A with Mr. Carpenter: Thursday, February 18th, at 6:00 PM link here: https://fernridge-k12-or-us.zoom.us/j/88970897706
- FRMS Q and A with Ms. Johnson: Tuesday, February 23rd, at 6:00 PM link here: https://fernridge-k12-or-us.zoom.us/j/88330691646?pwd=UjZjRm5rYnlsRmhXUmlPakdxRFZEUT09
- EHS Q and A with Mr. Gardner: Thursday, February 25th, at 6:00 PM link here: https://fernridge-k12-or-us.zoom.us/j/84823255124?pwd=QTdCbWxEWFJrT2F0L2U0M3NqU2grZz09